By Kyrah Altman (Contact)
To be delivered to: The United States House of Representatives and The United States Senate
In memory of the 26 victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in Newtown, Connecticut.
America is the greatest country on Earth. We are better than seventeen mass killings in just one year, 2012, all resulting from the misuse of firearms...
1. Newtown, CT (elementary school), 26 Angels shot dead including 20 children. Dec, 2012
2. Portland, Oregon (mall), 3 shot dead, Dec, 2012
3. Brookfield, WI (spa), 4 shot dead, Oct, 2012
4. Minneapolis, MN (workplace), 5 shot dead, Sept, 2012
5. Texas (Texas A&M University), 3 shot dead, Aug, 2012
6. New York, NY (Empire State Building), 2 shot dead, 8 injured, Aug, 2012
7. Oak Creek, WI (Sikh Temple), 6 shot dead, Aug, 2012
8. Aurora, CO (movie theater), 12 shot dead, 58 injured, July, 2012
9. Wilmington, DE, (soccer tournament), 3 shot dead, July, 2012
10. Seattle, WA (coffee shop), 5 shot dead, May, 2012
11. Tulsa, OK (Oikos University), 3 shot dead, 2 injured, Apr, 2012
12. Oakland, CA (college), 7 shot dead, 3 injured, Apr, 2012
13. North Miami, FL (funeral home), 2 shot dead, 12 injured, Mar, 2012
14. Pittsburgh, PA (psychiatric hospital), 2 shot dead, 7 injured, Mar 2012
15. Ohio (Clardon High School), 3 shot dead, Feb, 2012
16. Jackson, TN (nightclub), 1 shot dead, 20 injured, Feb 2012
17. Norcross, GA (Korean health spa), 5 shot dead, Feb, 2012
Our voices can make a difference in the following ways:
1. Renewing the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban is the first step toward protecting our children and families. Assault weapons are designed for the sole purpose of mass killing, and are not needed by any civilian for self defense or hunting. Not even police officers use assault weapons in the field. The Harvard Injury Control Research Center concluded that the more guns that are available to the public, the higher the homicide rate.
2. Stronger gun control laws should:
-mandate a gun-safety course
-ban high capacity clips
-require gun registration and licensure
-increase age requirement
-prohibit felons from purchasing guns
-prohibit people previously hospitalized for mental illness from purchasing guns
Stricter gun-control laws do not stop a responsible citizen from obtaining a gun.
The gun lobby has swayed our elected officials for too long with large campaign contributions. It's time to use our voices to empower our elected officials. We must show courage and conviction to prevent future gun violence in America. Commit to support stronger federal gun control legislation per above.
WE MUST ARM AMERICANS WITH KNOWLEDGE, AND DISARM OUR COMMUNITIES FROM ASSAULT WEAPONS.
Note: MoveOn Civic Action does not necessarily endorse the contents of petitions posted on this site. MoveOn Petitions is an open tool that anyone can use to post a petition advocating any point of view, so long as the petition does not violate our terms of service.