By Julie Smith (Contact)
To be delivered to: Governor Sean Parnell
It appears that deep sea trawling is the culprit in the mystery of where have the chinook salmon gone. Studies show that the increase in pollock fishing on U.S. trawlers or "draggers" that drag the bottom floor and pick up EVERYTHING, has direct correlation with chinook salmon numbers going down drastically in the whole state. As a subsistence & sport fisher person on the Anchor, Kasilof, & Kenai rivers I am directly affected by the rapid decline in chinook salmon. The Yukon & all other rivers are affected too.
1. Regain ability to fish on rivers
2. Stop all bycatch practices & replace with safer/better fishing practices
3. Have 1 unbiased "watcher" on each trawling boat to keep them honest
4. See escapment returns grow to healthy sustainable numbers
5. Improve on CDQ programs through an all species inclusive sustainability policy
Go to our Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stop-Trawling-Bycatch-of-Salmon-Halibut/407719715940319
PLEASE paste this address into your facebook page and forward to all your email addresses. Help push this petition! and Thank you!
Note: MoveOn Civic Action does not necessarily endorse the contents of petitions posted on this site. MoveOn Petitions is an open tool that anyone can use to post a petition advocating any point of view, so long as the petition does not violate our terms of service.