By Susan Goewey (Contact)
To be delivered to: The United States House of Representatives, The United States Senate, and President Barack Obama
A man on food stamps with a toothache pointed out a terrible irony: He can buy soda with food stamps, but not a toothbrush and tooth paste!
We all agree: Health care costs are too high, the deficit is too big, taxes are too high, government should cut wasteful spending. Here's an idea: "Think Small."
If Congress makes one simple change, it could greatly improve the health of many Americans. It's this: Congress, STOP ALLOWING food stamps to be used for soda; DO ALLOW food stamps to be used for toothpaste and toothbrushes.
Soda is not even a food; it is the opposite of nutritious and has been linked to 10 diseases:
1. Extra pounds/obesity*
2. Liver damage/ increased risk for liver cirrhosis
3. Tooth decay (liquid sugar is even worse for teeth than candy)
4. Kidney stones and chronic kidney disease
6. Heartburn and acid reflux
7. Soft Bones = osteoporosis
8. Hypertension (high blood pressure) It doesn't matter if the soda is regular or diet.
9. Heart disease/metabolic syndrome
10. Impaired digestion (GI distress)
*Note: Artificial sweeteners in diet soda also induce physiologic and hormonal responses causing weight gain. Diet soda is no more a "food" than regular soda.
Note: MoveOn Civic Action does not necessarily endorse the contents of petitions posted on this site. MoveOn Petitions is an open tool that anyone can use to post a petition advocating any point of view, so long as the petition does not violate our terms of service.